Call for Artists: Ceramic Artist in Residence
September 2019 - September 2020
Photos: Julia Nygra, 2018-2019 Ceramic Artist in Residence
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: June 9th, 2019
- The Port Moody Arts Centre Society supports artistic excellence and innovation. This residency is open to all emerging ceramic artists over 19 years of age. The residency will require an emphasis on making, learning and sharing the process of creating with clay.
- The residency is an excellent opportunity for artistic development within an innovative and supportive ceramic community. The clay studios at the Arts Centre are busy, supportive and house a true sense of community. There are classes for adults in hand building and wheel throwing, children’s classes that range from after school clay to spring & summer camps, plus a very active Open Studio group of ceramic devotees.
- The resident artist will be available for public outreach activities such as Open Studio, informal talks, studio tours for student groups, demos and exhibition installation.
The Resident receives:
- A secured ceramic studio space for one year, with ample room for a wheel, storage of work in progress, and supplies
- Access to studio space daytime & evenings
- A gallery space for a solo exhibition (average 3-4 weeks) before the residency ends.
- Up to 2 glaze firings /month for pieces that will be included in the final exhibition or are part of the artistic practice moving towards the final exhibition
- Engagement opportunities with the Arts Centre’s community of ceramic artists
- The opportunity to purchase clay through the Arts Centre.
- The opportunity to present classes and/or workshops to teach at the Arts Centre
In return, we ask that the Resident:
- Dedicate sufficient time in the studio to complete a solo exhibition at the end of their residency
- Supervise Open Studio sessions (community aspect)
- Create works for the year-end exhibition, working in conjunction with the Gallery Manager
- Be responsible for own clay/specialty glazes/tools/equipment (i.e. wheel)
- Promote best interests of the Arts Centre and participate in fundraising initiatives
- Comply with all occupational, health and safety issues
- Pass a Criminal Information Check
- Comply with policy and procedures set forth by the Art Centre’s ceramic department
There will be opportunity to instruct, engage with the public and to display your work. There will be no exchange of funds involved with the residency, however, the CAIR may sell their work during the year-end exhibition and Winter Treasures show. If the CAIR teaches classes where there is a class fee, they will collect a wage for their time teaching.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete the online application form
The deadline to apply is Sunday June 9th, 2019
We thank you in advance for your application, however, only selected applicants will be contacted for interviews and an announcement will be made in July, for a start date in September (to be confirmed with the successful applicant).